There's something about ants that are really really neat. As I sat in this here chair with my arms folded listening to the strings of a soft guitar tune I watched a carpenter ant explore the desk surface to my right- curiously tapping its antennae on the dark stained wood.. moving determinedly from lamp to wireless internet router to note card reminder and back again. It's cool to think its part of this one big colony; one big colony all centralized, working for a common purpose thing (survival obvs) yet they all go off individually to search. Heading off all alone to help those back home. It's really cool if you ask me.
Actually the first reflection thing I did was a facebook note about cordyceps in rainforest-dwelling ant species. It was so fascinating to me that I just wanted to share the knowledge GUH HUH!
OH Apparently there is this one type of ant that sends out warrior to invade the nests of nearby peaceful ant species. They like wreak havoc on the colony but the COOL part is that they take the ant eggs and carry them back to their nests. Once the eggs hatch they USE THEM AS SLAVES while the warriors lay around and drink beers and watch football until the next raid!
Ants, man.
Friday, June 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment