The independent(ish?) book I was assigned for English was called Surfacing by Margaret Atwood. It was a crazy book to say the least. The end consisted of the unnamed main character going completely insane and running around the woods naked acting like an animal.
"I looked down at my arm. My fur has not grown in yet."
Though I have not been doing animal nudey running around the woods I think today was a kind of surfacing for me.
I drove around for an hour and a half by myself taking in the foliage. My release from recent spiraling depression caused me to be rather careless in the automobile safety department (more than usual at least) but I was so incredibly happy.
Never have I appreciated the fall so much. Winding along the snaking pavement through Hubbardston, Princeton and Sterling... I had my arms laying along the stirring wheel, nose practically on top of the backs of my hands, so as to take in as much of the scenery as possible.
Certain stretches of the road were beyond incredible. I would gaze up at the lofty and arching trees, a natural cathedral; the pressing gray clouds stone walls where intricate stained glass foliage had impermanently been inlaid. Then I would move past the watery remains of forests... swamps drowning away fragile saplings and stripping the resilient hardwoods quicker still than the morning frosts. They were grouped pigs for slaughter and their fortunate peers would look on sympathetically from foundations of solid earth.
Each stood alone like slender, vulnerable, nude bodies before the lights went out.
Today in the car Katie said I have a beautiful mind and that was probably the nicest thing someone's said to me all week. I hope she knows how remarkable she is.
I saw Where the Wild Things Are. I'm processing it. I love good, clean fun. You guys are the best.
Edit
Stupid imagery.
Friday, October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment